Education

I am Getting My MSW, but I Do Not Want to be a “Social Worker”

blank

As I finish up my first year in graduate school, I am reflecting on the reasons I chose to enroll in a social work program. First, I want to change to world, and I want to help as many people as I can. I  know I cannot change everything, but I can motivate and empower other people to help to make a bigger impact.

My passion for social justice drove me into the Masters of Social Work (MSW) program, and I was ready to set forth and learn how to save the world. Now during my whole time at school, I get ask the same questions over and over again about why I am studying social work and the reasons behind it. Once I tell people I am getting my MSW, they certainly jump to conclusions about my career path.
be-who-you-wanna-be

• You are not going to make any money.
  • You are going to take kids away from bad parents.
  • Oh! I know a social worker at my school. She’s great!
  • Good for you; that job is so challenging.
  • Why are you learning about fundraising if you are going to be a social worker? They are so different.
  • What population do you want to work with?
  • What therapy method do you prefer?
  • Why do you want to help poor people?
  • You need to get licensed right away.
  • You should memorize the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM)
  • Take a course on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for sure
  • You need to focus and take as many advanced clinical courses as possible.

Sadly, I have heard all of these statements and more related ones too many times. The frustrating part about these comments is not the fact people are trying to help or learn more about my career, but they are judging my career choice before I get a chance to explain my reasoning. The worst part about this is that people who call themselves social workers are the most judgmental. They believe in their definition of social work, and what I want to do is not it.

They in some ways diminish my motivation for social change and push more towards therapy. Even the educational requirements are steering away from social justice initiatives and focusing on therapy. Is that what social work is now? Cheap therapy? If you would like more information on the subject, there is a book called Unfaithful Angels: How Social Work has Abandoned its Mission by Harry Spect and Mark E. Courtney. The book is a great read for any social worker out there trying to evaluate their roles as a social worker in society.

As many of you know, the definition of social work is vast and expanding. You can read about the great things and various aspects of the social work profession/opportunities in other articles on this website. It is not just counseling or adhering to the needs of individuals, but much more.  This can include anything related to helping individuals including but not limited to social policy analysis, program development, community assessment, advocacy, community organizing, development, organizational management, case management, research, social change and more, not just counseling.

With this being said, it is sad that many schools and professionals are telling students every day their focus should be on therapy and clinical intervention. I do not discredit the wonderful work clinical social workers do because it is necessary. I just want the opportunity for my fellow students and I to mold our own definitions of social work based on our personal and communal factors. We should focus our education, internships, jobs based on what we like to do and what we feel is necessary. We certainly would not tell clients what to do based on our own perceived conceptions of their identity, then we should not do it for social work students.

For clarification, I do plan on being a social worker, but I am going to be MY definition of a social worker. I plan to be a nonprofit executive leading human service agencies. I am getting my MSW to understand the perspective of oppressed individuals, and how my good friend says it, put the human back in human services.

If a label is part of my identity, I will dictate what I believe the label means. In order for you to know, you need to ask me instead of judging based on your preconceived notions. Rather than tell me what to do, maybe you could offer your advice or assistance if I ask for it.  Our future is determined by our decisions, and we students need to learn that for ourselves. Honestly, you’d be surprised how much we know already, and you could learn more about us if you do not jump to conclusions.

Jonathan Richardson is the Social Work Helper Staff Writer focusing on Students Issues and Concerns. He currently is a graduate student at University at Albany getting his MSW and MPA degrees. Jonathan has a background in a variety of nonprofit administrative and direct practice experience with a specialization in fundraising and development, and he hopes to empower the next generation of leaders and provide them with the motivation to positively impact their local communities. You can also visit his personal blog www.jonathanknowseverything.blogspot.com.

Alice Stewart says:

I am a JD/MSW and have had many of these same feelings during my program. I am constantly having an identity crisis lol because I feel too much at the law school but don't feel enough at the social work school. Just because we don't fit in someone's narrowly defined box of what a social worker should be doesn't mean we won't be social workers and make good use of our MSW degrees.

Well it came off that way. At least to me. Thanks for your reply.

I believe that we should make that change. Cheap and affordable is definitely two different thing, but I think the author intent was not diminish the work of therapists.

How about affordable therapy rather than “cheap” therapy.

dc matthews dc matthews says:

Hello social workers: What do you know about the ADA and the FHEO regulations ? Have any schools taught you about them?

Heaven Bound Heaven Bound says:

I love this article! So many truths..

Geri Troia Pepin says:

Thank you for this wonderful article . I started very late I. Life pursuing my BSW and now into my MSW . I too get asked about the same questions except add " what made you decide to go into SW now in your life and what do you expect to do "? So frustrating . I tell ppl "I've always Been a social worker all if my life (advocating for my children , guiding ppl to the resources needed, community action, volunteering my time." That's my definition . Yes I've questioned my career path but I know in my heart this is where I need to be !

Amanda Woolston says:

I think of social work as defined by the knowledge, skills, and values endorsed by our profession that trains practitioners to be effective at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels to move toward our uniting goal of social justice. Like you, I chose social work because its core values corresponded with my own personal values. An added surprise/benefit when I began my BSW education was discovering I would be taught to think and work from a mutli-systems perspective that is useful in an infinite number of settings.

Although trained to think in a multi-systemic way, many of us choose to specialize. I do a great deal of mezzo and macro work; however, I chose to concentrate on clinical practice when completing my master's in social work. I totally identify with what you've described as imposed upon you by others. Outside of our profession, there are some practitioners who do not understand what social work is. Clinical students from other disciplines often thought I was performing "casework" duties because of my title as "social worker," despite the fact that I was doing the same tasks and honing the same clinical skills they were. When I've testified on legislation and engaged in policy making, people assume I don't have the skills necessary because I am not a lawyer or didn't major in criminal justice. I can't help but wonder then if this is why some social workers impose practice goals and assumptions on others (or upon students) as a part of assuaging the anxiety produced by how our profession–as a whole–is undervalued and misunderstood by society.

Your post is an important reminder that support and recognition for our profession must be practiced within our community and among us as a model for how we'd like other disciplines and professionals to regard what we do.

Erica Lopez-Ruiz says:

I am so happy I came across this post! I recently graduated with my BSW and currently work as "Social Change Advocate" (great name right!) at a domestic violence shelter. I work within the school system providing education on dating violence as well as intervention and prevention groups. We also provide DV training to other agencies. I have been on the fence of whether or not to go for my MSW because what you described. I feel that the profession is pushing us toward therapy and I am just not interested! I appreciate your post, it validated what I have been feeling for a while and felt awkward expressing. As a BSW, social change was greatly emphasized in our studies through advocacy and effective case management.

Daniel Reti says:

What a great article! I missed this one! I have often felt the same way. Moreover I have no interest in being licensed at all but am constantly told that is the only way to make any money as a social worker. I support you in forging your own path and look forward to hearing more!

Brian J Tait says:

I am working on my MSW and MPA as well at this time but at ASU. Thank you for posting this Jonathan, I can relate to your feelings and ideas. This post made my day! Peace.

Zander Keig says:

Thank you, Jonathan! I have wrestled with these same issues since beginning my MSW program in 2010. I have been working as a government social worker since graduation (2012) and the same nagging feelings arise day after day: what am I doing? Like you, I was lead into social work to gain a particular lens to better inform my pursuit of social justice for marginalized communities. In a nutshell, I want to do macro social work. I have begun the process of seeking new positions that will better meet my needs and provide me with an avenue to be of more service to a greater number of people.

Dana White says:

Thank you so much for this article, Jonathan. I've experienced many of these same things as a young social worker in the beginnings of my career. One of the major reasons I've stayed in social work instead of pursuing another degree is because I believe so strongly that us social justice-focused social workers, both in direct and macro practice, need to do our part to shape and define our profession. While social work has definitely shifted toward clinical work in the past decade(s), I have hope that we're starting to swing the other way on the pendulum. Like Rachel said, it's so important to have discussions and posts like this one so that we can continue to advocate for positive changes in our profession.

Bill England says:

I have an MSW. I graduated in 1993 from the University of Pittsburgh. I consider myself a Social Worker in the traditional definition, meaning I am a community organizer and I work to improve systems to better meet the needs of people. Change is from the bottom up, and I find great satisfaction working with people to improve communities, systems and the organizations that provide services for people. But I completely agree with you – define whonuounare and what you want to do. I believe in the code or ethics. I believe in the value of education. I believe organizers are special people and have good capacities to become change agents. I wish uounwell with your studies and your journey! I love being a Social Worker and wouldn't do anything else.

Nikki Frankel says:

I'm graduating with my MSW in a few weeks and am quite torn with what I want to do with my degree. My school only offers a clinical track, but I've been very active with my state's chapter of NASW in fighting for social justice and doing advocacy work in my community. In addition, I have developed an interest in research and comprehensive program evaluations. I want to do everything with my degree and I still want the "social worker" title. I feel a connection to the profession because it is so broad. In my state I can get licensed as soon as I graduate and I will do that, but I will not (at least not anytime soon) be going for my independent license. I am a social worker because I didn't want to "just do counseling," I wanted to help make real change in individuals, groups, systems and communities. You are far from alone in your thinking, I just hope that you are able to reconsider your relationship with the term "social worker" and perhaps think if there is a way you can embrace it and still be true to your identity and values.

Rachel West says:

I think what has happened is that many states have given LCSWs parity with clinical psychologist and psychiatrist. But an LCSW only needs a masters degree whereas the other degrees require a PhD or MD before they can become licensed to practice independently. So those interested in being therapist see an MSW as a quicker and more cost effective path to private practice.

When I was in school there were a number of classmates who told me point blank that they only went for the MSW because it was quicker than trying to become a psychologist. Here in New York State you can get the LCSW in 3-6 years after graduating from an MSW program ( you can sit for the LMSW as soon as you graduate). Once you have the LCSW you can go into private practice.

I also think licensing laws have pushed schools to focus on clinical. Only a couple of states have a macro social work license. For example here in New York the LMSW is sort of like a general license, but the exam is focuses predominantly on direct practice. There is very little macro on that test. If too many students from a particular school fail the licensing exams the schools can find their accreditation jeopardized. So because those tests are so heavily focused on micro the schools end up focusing course work on micro more than macro because they need to ensure that as many of their graduates are able to pass the licensing exams.

Then there is the persistent myth that clinical social workers make more money than macro. Thats not true. I was recently sent a study,, which for copyright reason I can't post here, that showed that macro social workers make the same as micro social workers. The difference is that it take macro social workers on average 6 months longer to find work after graduation. The study did not look into why because it focus was on income. But the authors theorized that macro social workers have a harder time getting hired because hiring managers do not understand what macro practice is. In other words they see a MSW or BSW degree on the resume and can't understand why this person is applying for a non clinical position.

Rachel West says:

This is so true. I give webinar and coach macro social workers. I so often hear from students that they are not able to get the educational opportunities they need to be community practitioners. Even school offering a macro track often lack enough macro internships. This was my experience as an MSW student as well and thats how I ended up writing about this issue.

The best advice I heard given was "Don't let anyone Define what social work is for you." You're right Jonathan, it's not just those outside the field that fail to get what macro practice is. I what I always found most disheartening was the number of trained social workers who don't understand. 6 years out from graduation and I still get weird and confused looks from social work peers when I tell them I'm not working towards the LCSW.

This was a great article. It is important that we talk about this because it will help us to push for changes with the CSWE and the schools of social work.

I started out getting a new but two years into it I found out what I want to do I can do with an associate’s in social work. I never wanted to be a social worker, but felt pressured by advisors telling me I can’t do anything unless I had a new…..many other things you can do to have an impact in social change

As an MSW who will be 20 years post grad next month, I commend you on your passion and vision. My experience has been that where i am now is so far from where I thought I wanted to go….and I love it. It’s going to be a wild ride. Enjoy it.

Jamie Sanchez says:

I am currently in grad school with only a few weeks until graduation. Our profession has some serious issues and is suffering from what I feel is a serious identity crisis. While I have met a lot of great people who are on the clinical side of school work, I have come to believe that too many in our field are going in that direction and that there is not enough people doing macro practice. I feel the profession in general has lost its advocacy and activism edge due to too many people going into clinical work. I feel that if you want to be a therapist that doesn't actively engage in the other and equal important aspects of social work, like fighting for change, then maybe you should pursue a degree in counseling- not social work. From my perspective, social work has moved away from what should be its real role in society and into a role that is really best served by existing degrees for those wishing to be therapist.

Hi Michael, I won't speak for Jonathan, but I don't think his argument is in relation to direct practice as a whole. A student such as yourself can be on a case management/direct practice tract which is different plan of study from a clinical tract which focuses on becoming a therapist for the individual/groups. Although, all MSWs do and should receive training on the biopsychosocial assessment/perspecitve and understanding the client on the clinical level, I believe he is trying to relay that social work encompasses more than only working as a clinical social worker. In some sw circles, case management is not considered social work because in some states a clinical social work license is not required to do your job. Depending on your state, you may eventually need an LCSW to continue doing your job at the law firm even though you are not providing therapy or diagnosing clients with a mental health disorder.

I too went into social work with the desire to effect social change. During my studies I was also feeling pressure to study psychotherapy and I had no notion to do so.
As you mentioned, I wanted to focus on social change.
The leadership of the school were supportive and helped me to network with social work with a macro perspective.

Michael Chancley says:

Hi Jonathan. I'm also a MSW student and I am finishing my degree in a few weeks. I've felt a lot of the same sentiments as you. Those outside of the profession often think I'm building a career as a case manager, which is furthest from the truth.

I will say that I decided to change my concentration from Administration and Policy to Direct Service, not because my mentors in the field told me I had to, but because they showed me how the two can go hand in hand. I don't look at my path as "cheap therapy", but as a much needed component of social justice. Social change does not happen over night and until that change happens, I have a duty to help the individuals affected. I currently do my internship in the legal services department of an AIDS service organization and we not only handle case management duties, but also engage in a lot of policy work. When I do intake and assessment on a client who has been discriminated against, I am doing my part to help the attorneys in my organization get case laws on the book that will help others who are discriminated against.

You may not be interested in direct service at all and I respect that, but as a social worker, you should have a full understanding of how direct service, administration, and policy work are all intertwined. Good luck.

Kate Renna Kate Renna says:

Great article!

Education

Group Work: How to Make it Work

blank

Cooperative learning, collaborative strategies, group rotations—whatever we decide to call it, the research behind group work in the classroom makes a strong case for embracing collaborative learning. As beneficial as it is, however, group work can easily go awry if the planning and structures are not in place. Here are some suggestions for well-managed group work in the classroom.

Consistency is key when introducing group structures and routines.

Rotations, stations, and group collaboration involve much more than having students circulate through different activities together. Before you can even begin the actual group work, students need to be explicitly instructed on how they will form and work in their groups. Devote some time to having students practice moving into their groups in a quick and organized manner. Encourage students to have only necessary materials out during group work. Practice timed cleanup so that groups familiarize themselves with the amount of time needed to wrap up a work session.

Teacher-derived groups should be deliberate on multiple levels.

Be sure that groups contain personalities that will jive and complement one another. Also be careful to level the groups so that there are higher-ability and lower-ability group members in each group. When possible, groups should be gender-balanced and small enough that every person will play a vital role in the process and product. For the typical classroom, groups should be kept to 4 students or smaller to allow for accountability.

Begin implementing group work by stressing the importance of the process, not necessarily the product.

Of course the end result is important; however, cooperative dialogue, perspective-taking, and synergy are the foundations for a successful group—perfecting the product will come later. You want the groups to work like a well-oiled machine in the sense that each person knows that her individual input is necessary to achieve the end goal.

Have open dialogue about that end goal.

Part of the nuisance of group work is the fact that every group member has a different work ethic, mindset, motivation, and concept of the result. We have all experienced the headache and stress of completing “group work” individually because a partner or group mates were banking on someone else completing the job. To avoid this common pitfall, encourage groups to discuss what each individual’s end goal is and work on compromising from there.

If one person’s goal is to complete the task in as little time as possible, assign that person one of the initial planning, prewriting, or beginning tasks for the project. If another person expresses a deep desire to perfect the group’s project, put that person in charge of checking the final product against the rubric and making edits or adjustments as needed. If one person simply aims to turn something in for credit, put him or her in charge of organizing materials, brainstorming ideas, keeping the group’s notes, etc.—the key is to play to each person’s strengths and desires so that everyone’s intrinsic motivation leads the group to the same end goal.

Education

5 Motivational Books That Will Help Improve Your Relationships

Sometimes, motivation is necessary for students and teachers to enhance their relationship. In many cases, teachers criticize their students without understanding the challenges they face both at home and at school. During my school years, I was bullied because I was considered soft or not being a tough guy, and I never fought back. To be honest, it was some of the worst years of my life, but I endured it. I also experienced that some of my teachers couldn’t control their attitude towards students especially with me. Maybe you have a difficult relationship in your life, but how do you get through it or try to change the outcome?

Motivation to endure is what kept me going no matter what circumstances I was facing. Now that my school days are in the past, I still need motivation when it comes to facing barriers and challenges in my daily life. Reading inspirational books have given me insight into myself and others, and they help to give me the energy and excitement to continue my journey no matter how bad my situation is. Not only do they apply to improving teacher-student situations, but the lessons learned from these books can be applied to any relationship.

Without further ado, I would like to share five motivational books that would help build a long lasting relationship:

1 – Hit Your Life’s Reset Button by Marc V. Lopez

Marc V. Lopez is a guy who prioritizes God before anything else. He preaches and attends a Roman Catholic praise and worship group known as The Feast founded by Bro. Bo Sanchez. When I participated in a bible study session, he inserted himself promoting his book. I immediately bought it from him, with his signature on it. Marc and I are friends in real life, and I consider him as one of my mentors in life.

For those who lean towards spiritual guidance, this book may appeal to you more than the others. It focuses on improving your relationship with others by putting God at the center of everything. The book costs $4.99 on Amazon.

You can find out more about Marc’s book here.

2 – The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard

When it comes to personal power, Brendon Burchard is my man. Ever since my friend introduced me to Brendon Burchard, it changed the way I look at life. Sometimes it is easier to gain insight into oneself by reading their journey of someone else. I was inspired by Brendon Burchard’s story from his struggles to success. The main concept is how to look at every situation in a positive way, even if you’re at the worst point of your life.

The Motivation Manifesto is free of charge, and you only need to pay for shipping. I pay something around $7+ for shipping, and it arrived at the post office in less than a month.

You can find more about Brendon’s book here.

3 – Start With Why by Simon Sinek

Another motivational book that I want to recommend is Simon Sinek’s Starts With Why. I bought this book a couple of years ago, and it’s something that inspired me to develop my leadership skills. I firmly believe that this book would be great for anyone looking to become a better leader or manager. It shares inspiring stories from great leaders from the past on how they were able to lead their people to achieve success. If you want to become a better leader, start with this book.

The book itself cost around $10 in the bookstore. You can buy this on Amazon marketplace too. There’s paperback, hardcover, Kindle version and more.

You can find more about Simon’s book here.

4 – How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Dale Carnegie’s How To Win Friends and Influence People teaches you how to navigate stressful relationships. Even if you meet difficult people, the book can teach you how to manage them very well. If you’re a teacher who has problems in handling difficult students, or a student who has an arrogant advisor, this book is for you to read.  If you want to learn how to have more success in your relationships and becoming influential in your social networks, this book will help start your journey.

The book cost you $9 in average. It may be only $9 to spare, but reading the whole thing might get you thinking that it’s worth millions.

You can find more about Dale’s book here.

5 – 25 Ways To Win With People by John C. Maxwell

John C. Maxwell’s 25 Ways To Win With People. It teaches you how to be a better communicator and help you learn skills to change the dynamics of your relationships. This book gives principles to guide you to better love and treat others well, and it also discusses leadership and how to understand different personalities. Once you are able to see your relationships from a different lens, it will be easier to develop and improve them.

For the price of this book, it’s around $15.99 for a paperback cover.

You can find more about John’s book here.

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. – Carl Jung

Education

Passion Through Lived Experience: Krystal’s Journey to Her MSW

blank

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of speaking with Krystal Reddick who is a blogger, a social work student, and overall someone with so much passion and drive. At the age of 23, Krystal was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder during her Master’s in Education grad program.

Ten years later, through her own self-discovery and recovery towards mental wellness, Krystal has decided to pursue a career in social work. Having lived experience and the professional background gives her a unique outlook on the field, and she plans on continuing to share her story in order to help others along the way.

Prevailing research states 1 in every 4 individuals suffer from a mental illness which equates to approximately 61.5 million people in the United States. Also, current research tells us that 50 percent of all chronic mental illness begins by age 14, and 75 percent of all chronic mental illness will manifest by age 24. – Social Work Helper

In the spirit of sharing her experiences, you can view our conversation below:

SWH: Being someone with lived experience and a working professional, what perspective do you bring to the field that differs from your peers who do not have lived experience with a mental illness?

Krystal:As someone with lived experience and an aspiring mental health professional, my perspective feels like a combination of an insider and an outsider. As an insider, I know what my personal experiences have been with my bipolar disorder; I’ve been manic, depressed, and stable. At the same time, once I finish graduate school and become a social worker, I’ll have to have a certain amount of distance and firm boundaries. I hope to be a social worker that can draw on my lived experience; I hope it makes me more understanding and compassionate and patient.

SWH: You stated that you sought out help at your school but it wasn’t helpful. How was that process for you? Did you feel comfortable asking for help? What about it didn’t make it helpful?

Krystal: While I was depressed in graduate school it took me weeks to get up the coverage to seek help from a college therapist. My energy levels were low, and I had practically no follow through. But I eventually made an appointment with a therapist on campus. The process wasn’t that helpful. And I understand why now, a few years removed from the experience.

The therapist recommended I seek outside care through my mother’s health insurance as the grad school’s system was swamped with students. At the time I thought he did not take me or my depression seriously. But I understand now that it was a resource issue. However, his response wasn’t helpful at the time and I never sought help again. It took all I had to come and see him. The only reason I got help was because a subsequent manic episode ended the depression, and I landed in the hospital.

At the time, I thought he did not take me or my depression seriously. But I understand now that it was a resource issue. However, his response wasn’t helpful at the time and I never sought help again. It took all I had to come and see him. The only reason I got help was because a subsequent manic episode ended the depression, and I landed in the hospital.

SWH: What made you have a career change from education to social work?

Krystal: I have been in the education field for 9 years. My own lived experience along with the experiences of a few of my family members coupled with my time as a high school English teacher, have all prompted me to switch careers from education to social work. As a teacher, I felt constrained in my attempts to work with the students. As a teacher, I had to focus on the academic side of things. But I found myself also concerned about my students as people, concerned about their social-emotional development and their development as human beings.

SWH: Can you tell us about the process you took when you had to take a leave from school? What was that like for you?

I experienced my first bout of depression while in my last year of graduate school for education. It was debilitating. I lost about 15 pounds. I didn’t sleep or eat or bathe. I barely left the house. And I avoided family and friends. However, a few months later I became manic. The mania was disruptive in ways that the depression was not. And resulted in a 3-week hospitalization during the spring semester of graduate school.

There was no way I was going to graduate on time, so I withdrew from school to focus on my health and recovery. I felt like a failure for having to “drop out.” All of my college friends were either still in law school or medical school, or were already in the workforce making good money. I felt like a bum in comparison. However, I’ve since learned that “comparison is the thief of joy.” I try not to compare myself or my journey to others. Life is a lot less stressful that way.

SWH: What would you say has been the most helpful in your recovery?

Krystal: I can’t pinpoint just one factor that has been helpful for my recovery. In fact, it has been a combination of medicine, therapy, my support system, and a solid sleep schedule that have helped me most. The medicine, if I take it regularly, keeps me stable and even-keeled. Therapy has been great because my therapist keeps me accountable to myself and the goals I’ve set for my life. Goals that have nothing to do with being diagnosed. He has tried hard to get me to live as normally as possible and not to be debilitated by a mental health label. Next, is my support system: my fiance, my family, and my friends. They all let me know if they see signs that an episode might be looming. They visit me in the hospital, they pray for me, and they love me

Next, is my support system: my fiance, my family, and my friends. They all let me know if they see signs that an episode might be looming. They visit me in the hospital, they pray for me, and they love me despite things I’ve done while manic that are not too nice. And lastly, a regular sleep schedule and good sleep hygiene are important to keep episodes at bay. I don’t sleep much during manic and depressive episodes. So trying to get as much sleep as possible, allows my brain to stay calm.

SWH: What advice would you give to other college students who find themselves struggling with their mental health?

Krystal: For other college students struggling with their mental health while in school, I’d encourage them to seek help. They do not have to go through this alone. I actually wrote an article for The Mighty about navigating mental health concerns while in college or grad school.

Check it out here: https://themighty.com/2016/08/how-to-navigate-college-or-grad-school-and-mental-illness/

swhelperlogo

Enter your email below to subscribe to the Weekly Helper Newsletter.

Sign up.....It's free! Get the latest articles delivered directly to your inbox once a week from Social Work Helper. We promise not to spam you!